(Last Updated On: March 28, 2010)
On Saturday, Frank and I, along with our friend Zach, skied a new line off of Mt. Emmons that we had not skied before- Coon Basin to Climax Chutes. After skiing this line, I began thinking- we have now skied nearly every skiable aspect of this popular peak.
Mt. Emmons is often lovingly called “Red Lady” by the locals. Since the winter closure for Kebler Pass lies at the base of Mt. Emmons, this peak is easy access for backcountry skiers, making it one of the most popular backcountry spots in Crested Butte. The most popular lines include the Red Lady bowl and Red Lady glades. But, Redwell Basin is skied fairly often as well. More adventurous folks will venture into Wolverine or off to Scarp’s Ridge. Some, like ourselves, may find their way to Coon Basin. Either way, it’s clear that this peak has a lot to offer.
Below is a Google Earth image of Mt. Emmons. Mt. Emmons is most easily accessed via the Kebler Pass road at the winter closure. Some ski lines (Redwell, North lines on Scarps, Wolverine, Coon/Climax) drop into the drainage to the north which is accessed by the Slate River road. This will require a 30-45min skate or skin out on relatively flat terrain to the Slate River winter closure. If ascending from Kebler and descending into Slate River, setting up a shuttle is highly recommended.
Recommended ski lines are marked below.
1) Red- Most popular ascent route. This skin track is always easy to find.
2) Green- Red Lady bowl (probably the most popular ski)
3) Blue- Red Lady glades
4) Yellow- Coon/Climax
5) Pink- Wolverine
6) Purple- Redwell Basin
7) Orange- Scarps Ridge (can drop in either north or south on either side of the ridge)
Red Lady Bowl:
Red Lady Glades:
Check out our trip reports from these areas for more beta:
1) Red Lady
2) Red Lady Glades- 1st Trip Report, 2nd Trip Report
3) Redwell Basin- 1st Trip Report, 2nd Trip Report
5) Scarp’s Ridge
6) Coon Basin to Climax
Latest posts by Brittany Walker Konsella (see all)
- Crested Butte Pole Pedal Paddle Race (28 April 2019) - May 10, 2019
- TBT: The Citadel Ski (27 April 2018) - May 9, 2019
- TBT: Rain Peak (6 May 2018) - April 25, 2019